Pityriasis alba is a low-grade type of eczema/dermatitis in children.
Signs and symptoms of pityriasis alba
- Fine scale with pale color (hypopigmentation) area on cheek, forehead, and chin.
Cause of pityriasis alba
- The cause of pityriasis alba is unknown.
- Pityriasis alba often coexists with dry skin and atopic dermatitis.
- It often presents following sun exposure.
Treatment for pityriasis alba
- A moisturizing cream may improve the dry appearance.
- A mild topical steroid may reduce redness and itch if present.
- Use sunscreen and photo avoidance.
- Pityriasis alba clears after an average of one year. The color gradually returns completely to normal.